Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Oxytocin/Pitocin

I am so angry right now. I don't even know if this post will make any sense but I need to get it out somewhere.

I just received my itemized hospital bill from when I gave birth to Cooper. And on that bill is a charge for 20 units per liter of OXYTOCIN which is pitocin... I am so angry that they gave me pitocin. I was in labor when I got to the hospital and it was not necessary. They said they were doing the IV for hydration, obviously they lied to me and snuck the pitocin in. No wonder Coopers heart rate was dropping and they felt it was necessary to do a vacuum extraction. I am so pissed right now. and so shocked. I can't even believe this.

I am seriously considering speaking with an attorney. Obviously I am calling the hospital to have it taken off our bill ($110). I refuse to pay for pitocin.

I can't stop crying. I thought the one thing that I had stuck to, that I had control over, during his birth was no drugs. The one thing I was so proud of, and that was just ripped away. No wonder Coopers heart rate was dropping, or so they say... his heart rate sounded fine to me on the monitors.

I don't even know what to say... I just... I'm so mad.

3 comments:

Kate said...

Ooooohhhh...I would be just as p*ssed as you are. I'm mad just reading about it. And I think you have every right to sue. Maybe you can use the money to pay the taxes? :o)

hollyli said...

Amanda - Sorry to see that they gave you pitocin/oxytocin. Are you sure they gave it to you before you delivered Cooper and not after. I know that they tend to give it to women after they deliver to help deliver the placenta and get the uterus to contract and get smaller. Either way, you didn't want it... but worth checking out. :)

M said...

So sorry they gave you drugs you didn't want! I agree with Holly though... see if they gave it to you before or after (although they messed up your birth plan big time so I would still be mad!) I know I needed it during my D&C to help my uterus contract.
Good luck!