Sunday, January 27, 2008

Birth Plan

So here's my birth plan -

Mother-to-be: (Fill in)
Birth Site: (Fill in)
Primary-care provider: (Fill in)
Labor Support: (Fill in)

We are looking forward to the natural, drug free, intervention free labor and delivery of our baby. Listed below are my birth preferences. I understand that final decisions about my care will be discussed and agreed upon in the birthing room with my well-being and safe delivery or my baby as the most important consideration. We do not want anyone else (other then care providers) in the room with us during labor and delivery unless I permit it, this includes any and all family members. We sincerely appreciate you taking the time to look over our wishes for this childbirth.

Birth Preferences

Labor:

IV: Prefer none
Room: same room for labor, delivery, recovery and postpartum if available
Electric Fetal Monitoring: external and only for an initial 20 minutes, after that I would prefer intermittent Doppler monitoring
Movement: be encouraged to freely move and walk around out of bed/sit up
Nourishment: light foods and clear liquids, taken orally
Membranes: allow to rupture naturally, even with dilation nears 10 cm.
Labor Progress: allow to proceed on its own; prefer no artificial induction methods; if augmentation is needed, I'd like to attempt natural methods first
Pain relief and relaxation: shower/tub, massage, soft music, relaxation techniques, calm talking, dim lights, etc.
Medications: I am aware that pain medications are available for my taking, however, I would appreciate not being asked if I want drugs. If I decide that I want pain medication I will ask for it. Prefer no medications.
Lighting: Dimmed.

Delivery:

Position: whatever feels most comfortable at the time. I think I may want to try a birthing stool, squatting position, hands and knees, etc.
Perineum Care: no episiotomy. I would like a care provider/support person to apply warm/oiled washcloths or compresses to my perineum throughout my pushing stage. I know I need guidance during the crowning stage with breathing and control techniques to promote SLOW head and shoulder birthing
Pushing: I'd like to push when I feel the urge (maybe not with each contraction) and be calmly guided as far as when to and when not to push.
Actual Birth: I want to breathe and push my baby out - I don't want my baby pulled out in any way
Umbilical Cord: clamped and cut by dad or myself after it has stopped pulsating
Following Delivery: Immediate and prolonged skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby and immediate attempt to breastfeed
Newborn screenings/testing/vitals/shots: We would like weighing of baby and footprints to be postponed at least an hour after birth; we refuse any silver nitrate or substitute antibiotic ointments being placed in baby's eyes (mom does not have gonorrhea), we would like baby to be given Vitamin K orally as opposed to injection, and we are refusing the Hepatitis B vaccination.

Postpartum:

Location of baby: room-in with mom and dad
Circumcision: None
Method of feeding: breastfeeding exclusively without supplements; no bottles or pacifiers
Newborn Vitals: Mom and/or Dad present for all procedures

In case of complication which requires emergency care, we ask that our care providers still do their best to accommodate as many of our preferences as possible. We would only want our baby to be born via C-Section in the case of an absolute emergency, and we realize that this would necessitate mom being given general anesthesia; dad would like to be present during surgery. In the case of a medical problem with the baby after birth, dad and/or mom would like to be present with baby at all times, during all procedures.

Thank you, Staff!!!

We realize that some of our choices aren't common in a hospital setting, and we thank the nursing staff, OB staff, and all other care providers for respecting our wishes. Our basic wish is that we'd like nature to take it's course with the labor and delivery and only intervene with medical technology should a complication arise.

Sincerely,

Amanda and Paul

Hopefully it helps someone out with writing their own birth plan!!! Now, since I am using a Mid-Wife most everything in my birth plan is normal. My only advice is go after what you WANT and feel comfortable with! Follow your instincts, it is your birth and there is no wrong or right way of doing it, as long as it's the way you want it!!!

0 comments: