Friday, November 23, 2007

Pebbles Ran Away....

You're never going to believe what Pebbles did last night. SHE RAN AWAY! I haven't been that scared in such a long time. It was like 1245 at night and we were getting ready for bed. So Paul took her out to pee and I went to bed. Paul was gone for a few minutes (longer then usual) and then I heard him come in the house and start banging around. Then he ran upstairs and said "I can't find Pebbles. She was in the back yard and took off running and I can't find her".

Of course I jumped out of bed and ran straight outside. It was about 20 degrees with snow and ice on the grass and I was in jammies and house slippers. I didn't even stop for a jacket. I asked him which way she went and I took off in that direction. I

was so scared because the direction she went in she's never been before. And there are woods right there with a creek in them... I don't know how far back the creek is and neither does she. I had all these visions running thro my head of her falling in the creek and freezing. I was so scared.

I ran thro people back yards, along the woods, hollering her name (not too loud tho cause it was 1 a.m. and all the houses were dark). I was just so scared that if we didn't find her soon we never would and it was so cold last night she would freeze.

So I get to the end of houses (about 15-20 houses away from mine) and am standing at the woods crying. I get to the sidewalk and start running back to the house to get my jacket and a flash light. I'm looking down all the streets thinking maybe she's just walking down the sidewalk cause she doesn't like walking in the grass. I guess she doesn't like the way it feels on her paws.

Pauls standing on the sidewalk in front of our house and my first thought is "What the hell is he doing? Go look for her". Well he tells me he found her and she's inside. Of course I start crying harder (happy tears) and run inside.

When I make it inside I collapse on the stairs and sob. Pebbles comes walking down stairs like "what going on?"... i was so pissed at her, but so happy to see her too. lol.

At this point I can't breath from all the running, yelling, and breathing in the freezing air so fast for so long. My throat was so raw cause it was so cold. Oddly enough I wasn't cold though. I guess the adrenaline and everything kept me warm.

So then Paul tells me that he was worried about me. He apparently found Pebbles just a couple minutes after I took off looking for her. She had cut thro someones back yard and was standing on a side street across the street from our house. I often take her there when we walk.

Anyways, Paul got scared cause he couldn't find me.. He thought I ran into the woods looking for her and was ready to call 911 to get them to search for me. I was ready to call 911 to get them to search for Pebbles! lol

This all took place in 15-20 minutes. This was the fastest 20 minutes of my life. All I did was run, cry, and freak out. It was just so scary.

So now we don't take Pebbles outside without her leash anymore. She can't be trusted. Paul thinks she took off after something (a squirrel or something like that). He heard a rustle and then she ran.

Pebbles looks so sad today. It's probably because she knows she scared us and feels bad. But my pregnant brain keeps saying that she's sad cause she had to come back home. I keep thinking that she wanted to run away from us and was just waiting for the right time to do it. I know this isn't right, but my pregnant brain says it is... And it makes me sad.

0 comments: